Romanov Tercentenary Cross for the Clergy, in hallmarked silver and cloisonné enamels.
Silver gilt and enamels. Measures 63.0 mm in height, 41.1 mm in width; weighs 22.7 grams. The top edge of the attachment loop has two hallmarks. The first is the oval silver hallmark"84" of 1908 style with Kokoshnik and Greek letter "Delta" signifying Mos
Silver gilt and enamels. Measures 63.0 mm in height, 41.1 mm in width; weighs 22.7 grams. The top edge of the attachment loop has two hallmarks. The first is the oval silver hallmark"84" of 1908 style with Kokoshnik and Greek letter "Delta" signifying Moscow as the city of manufacture. The second hallmark is a maker mark of an unknown jeweler identified only by his Cyrillic initials ТЩ ("TShch").
Condition is very fine overall. One of the three droplets at the bottom broke off - a common problem with this award - but the other two are intact. The enamel is well preserved overall, although careful examination reveals light flaking and rubbing throughout. There are however no penetrating chips, repairs or significant flaking visible to the unaided eye. The details of the Cap of Monomakh and in particular the exposed cross at the top are pristine. Some of the original gilt finish is visible on the edges. The reverse is practically pristine, with beautiful patina. The ring portion of the badge has been reattached, but the repair was done very professionally with a laser so as not to overheat the badge, and it is only visible at very close inspection on the reverse at the joints. The ring portion may not be original to this particular cross, but it is definitely of the period, from the same tercentenary cross in silver, and fits perfectly. Overall, a very impressive piece!
The right to wear this cross was bestowed upon Orthodox priests who'd personally participated in special church ceremonies on 21 February 1913 marking the anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty. This was the third and final in the series of awards specifically created for the priesthood during the imperial era (the first two were bronze crosses awarded to priests for praying for the army during the War of 1812 and the Crimean War).