Leningrad Merchant Fleet Academy (LMU), Badge of the 5th Graduation Class, circa 1950.
Nickel-plated brass, enamels; 51.4 x 26.3 mm. In excellent condition. The enamels and silver finish are perfect. The screw post is full length, approx. 9.5 mm. The screw plate is a replacement, but it fits the screw perfectly.
Founded in 1945 before the end of the Great Patriotic War, the LMU (Russian abbreviation "ЛМУ") was one of the top merchant fleet schools in the Soviet Union. Unlike most other schools with the designation "uchilische", it had the status of highest education establishment, e.g. a university or an engineering institute.