Military Navigators School, graduation badge, 1938-1941.
Brass, silver-plating, enamels; measures 43.6 mm tall, 37.0 mm in wingspan, 25.0 mm in width of the diamond. Riveted 3-piece construction: the machine-gun and bomb emblem and the Air Force wings with red star are separate, superimposed parts.
In very fine condition. The sky blue enamel on the diamond is relatively well preserved having only a couple of hairline fractures at approximately 3 o'clock, not very noticeable; shows no significant wear or chips and still retains very nice luster. The red enamel on the star is mostly missing although fair amount of it still remains along its perimeter. The silver finish is extremely well preserved; shows only very minor wear to the high points of the machine-gun and near the tip of the bomb. There is very attractive patina to silvered parts on both the obverse and reverse.
On the reverse there appears to be evidence of repair to the higher rivets holding the wings emblem - possibly made even before the badge left the factory - but the emblem is original to the badge and firmly attached. The four lower rivets are completely intact and tight. The screw post is full length, well over 11 mm. The screw plate marked
"Moscow Artists Cooperative" is contemporary to the badge although not original to it.
Overall, this badge is a very attractive early WW2 piece.
/"Avers 8", p. 476, fig. 2253.a/