Excellent Reconnaissance Scout Badge, circa 1946-48.
Brass, enamels; 45.3 x 38.3 mm. Featuring a classic shield
shape tapering to the bottom, relatively big wreath and
domed medallion, the badge is of the first NKPS type
presented in the Airapetyan catalog as fig. 1 on page 107.
Small details of the wreath however point out to the early
post-war production by the same factory, by then known as
MPS (note that it is distinctly different from the "square"
and "luxuriant wreath" variations by the same factory, and
is much closer to the first wartime version). This
variation of the Scout badge is believed to be very scarce.
In very fine condition. The red enamel in the center and
lower part of the shield is extremely well preserved having
only a few tiny scuffs and contact marks, none of the usual
heavy wear; it still retains beautiful original luster. The
more exposed white enamel in the band shows moderate
buffing but no chips or other significant flaws.
The red enamel is chipped on the upper right scroll in the
wreath, and has surface flakes on the lower two scrolls,
while the upper left scroll is completely intact. Because
the area of the damage is so tiny, it doesn't significantly
affect the overall impression from the badge. The details
of the wreath, Dyagterev rifle and sword are very well
preserved and crisp. Some of the original silver finish is
still present on the reverse around the screw post. The
screw post is full length, approx. 12.5 mm, and includes
original screw plate marked "MPS ShM".
/See Airapetyan, "Breast Badges of the Red Army, 1941-
1945", p. 107, fig. 1/.