AVIAKhIM membership badge, "filled-in" version with gold enamel in the center, 1925-1927.
Brass, enamels; 34.3 tall x 35.7 mm wide; weighs 6.3 g not including the screw plate. This type of the badge features solid, "filled-in" construction as opposed to the more common cut-out versions. Moreover, the center is covered by translucent gold enamel unlike the less rare version of the "solid" design that has azure center. The enamels are of beautiful quality. With its palette consisting of cobalt blue, pure white, translucent gold, scarlet red and bright green, this badge is unusually colorful compared with the vast majority of Soviet badges of its era.
In excellent condition. The enamels are exceptionally well preserved, practically perfect. There are tiny scuffs on the white enamel on the propeller that are nearly unnoticeable and a couple of microscopic contact marks elsewhere, but no chips, flaking or any other significant wear. The original copper screw post is nearly 9 mm long, of full or near full length. The screw plate maker-marked "Vsekokhudoznik, Moscow" is of pre-WW2 period, roughly contemporary with the badge although probably not original to it.
This badge is a very attractive piece, and it is extremely hard to find in such a premium condition. Note that even the example of a similar but less rare "solid" badge with sky blue center shown in the very comprehensive catalog "Badges of Volunteer Societies of the USSR" by Zak, Voronchenko and Kalistratov (p. 302, fig. 14.3) is in much worse condition that the badge we offer here. /See also "Avers 8" p. 297, fig. 1450/
The AVIAKhIM (Society to Support Aviation and Chemical Warfare Readiness) was created in March 1925 as the result of merger of the DOBROKhIM and ODVF. It existed for only 2 years before it in turn merged with the OSO (Society to Assist Defense); the latter merger produced the massive OSOAVIAKhIM organization.