Sniper Badge, by NKPS Factory, circa 1943-44.
Brass, enamels; measures 43.7 x 35.2 mm. This variation is
among the earliest produced. Features domed medallion and
flat, tall scrolls of the top ornament with a curvy upper
edge. There is a distinctive vertical line pattern under red
enamel with counter-relief visible on the reverse of the
Very fine to excellent condition, well above average. The
enamel in particular is very well-preserved, completely free
of repairs, chips or significant flaking. There are some
tiny contact marks and minor amount of rubbing, as well as a
few microscopic surface flakes completely invisible to the
naked eye, but the enamel retains impressive overall
appearance and a good deal of original luster.
The details of the rifles and wreath are extremely well-
preserved and crisp. A good amount of the fragile silver and
gilt finish on the obverse is still present, while most of
the silver plating on the reverse is intact, especially
around the screw post. The screw post has been reduced to
approx. 6.5 mm for convenience, as was customary. It was
also re-threaded to accommodate a mint-marked post-war screw
Established in May 1942, Sniper is one of the initial seven
badges that started the WW2 "Proficiency" series.
/See "Breast Badges of the Red Army, 1941-1945, p. 80,