Veteran's Badge in Commemoration of the 30th Anniversary of the 840th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment, 1972 issue.
In aluminum, paint and lacquer. The pentagon-shaped medallion measures 35.9 mm tall (incl. eyelet), 34.1 mm wide. Shows a stylized jet aircraft and Order of the Red Banner awarded to the regiment. Neither the name nor number of the unit are mentioned anywhere, due to the usual Soviet obsession with secrecy. The badge however has been attributed to the 840th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment (TBAP).
The badge is in very fine to excellent condition. There are some minor scuffs and scratches to the paint, some of which may be manufacturing imperfections.
The 840th Heavy Bomber Aviation Regiment was formed in 1942 based on a DB-3 bomber squadron recently transferred from the Soviet Far East. Throughout WW2, it flew numerous missions using DB-3f, Il-4 and Tu-2 bombers on nearly all theaters of the war including Leningrad, Stalingrad, East Prussia, Berlin and Japan. In 1968, it was belatedly awarded with an Order of the Red Banner for outstanding performance of its pilots during the war. Starting from mid-50s, the regiment was equipped with Tu-16 strategic heavy bombers and from late-70s, Tu-22 supersonic bombers. In the Cold War years, the unit was reportedly based on the airfield of Soltsy near Novgorod. It took part in all major Soviet military exercises, flew a number of combat missions in Afghanistan and after the collapse of the Soviet Union, bombed positions of the rebels during the First Chechen War.