Priest's Cross in Commemoration of the Patriotic War of
1812, 1818-1829 issue.
In dark bronze (coper); measures 79.1 mm tall including the
eyelet, 76.6 mm wide. The obverse shows the All-Seeing Eye
and inscription "The Year of 1812". The reverse has a
biblical quote "Not unto Us, Not unto Us, but in Thy Name".
This version of the cross features a standard teardrop
eyelet of slightly smaller size than most others. Note that
the sides of the eyelet are slightly offset toward the
center of the top edge of the cross, as opposed to being
flash with the obverse and reverse of the cross.
In outstanding, excellent condition. There are only
relatively few minor dings to the arms, while the details of
the center medallion are exceptionally well preserved and
crisp. The cross is completely free of the usual nicks,
bumps and wear to the edges. It is covered in protective
coat of lacquer added by a previous owner as was customary.
This clear coat preserved the details beautifully without
obscuring the dark mahogany patina to the copper. It would
be easy to remove with a solvent if desired, but we prefer
to keep the cross the way it is and leave it up to the new
The cross comes on immaculately preserved St. Vladimir of
original pre-revolutionary vintage, approx. 14 mm in length.
The copper connecting links are old although probably not
original to the cross.
The War of 1812 Commemorative Cross was established in 1814,
initially exclusively for Eastern Orthodox priests ordained
prior to January 1813. Two years later, the eligibility for
the award was expanded to include Protestant clergy. The
actual issues started in 1818 and continued until mid-1829.
Some 40000 crosses in total were struck at the State Mint.
/Dimitri Romanov, "The Orders, Medals and History of
Imperial Russia", pp. 128, 129; Dyakov "Medals of the
Russian Empire, Part 3, 1796-1825", p. 118 fig. 357/